One of the most popular and effective developments in cosmetic dentistry, veneers are thin, custom made casings that cover the front side of your teeth. Veneers are used to correct uneven teeth, worn enamel, discoloration, chipped teeth and irregular spacing. In some cases, veneers can serve a restorative purpose > and can protect a damaged tooth from further harm.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth’s color and shape.
- Require less tooth structure removal than crowns.
- Lasts longer than tooth bonding.
- Provide a more natural tooth appearance.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- The color of a porcelain veneer can be adjusted to match the color of your teeth.
- Veneers can last from ten to fifteen years.
- Veneers actually strengthen your tooth by adding reinforcement.
There are three types of veneers:
- Resin Composite
Since porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains and chipping, they are generally more expensive. Lumineers are a particularly popular type of porcelain veneers that do not require your teeth to be shaved and can even be placed over crown or bridgework. A custom-made set of Lumineers can be installed in 2-3 visits and is proven to last over 20 years.
After a thorough examination of your teeth, which may include X-rays and taking impressions of your teeth, we will remove a thin layer of enamel from your teeth. We will then create an impression and send it off to a laboratory to create the veneer. While the mold is being created, we may provide you with temporary veneers. Finally, the veneer’s size and color are given one last adjustment before they are cemented to your tooth on your second visit.